A local speciality in Wakefield...the Québecoise-- filled with berries and laden with butter.

To the Valley


I was heading towards the Okanagan, en route to Kelowna.  By Hope wisps of clouds were flowing up the sides of the mountains.  The choice was to drive up the Fraser River route, a roller coaster highway that is one of the best drives in the country or via The Coquihalla.  If I took the first, I'd have to double back through the Thompson River Valley and through Kamloops. Or I could take a shorter route,The Coquihalla, officially called #5. This highway brought back memories of driving a van packed with camping gear and kids en route to the coast while the red light on the dash flashed urgent warnings in 40' heat.   The only way to cool the engine was to turn on the heat.  Needless to say, before the next trip I had the vehicle 'summerized'.  
But today, May 14, I was facing snow and spring that seems to come only sporadically and I didn't have a lot of time for sightseeing. I opted for the "Coq".  
The destination was Mission Hill....the Mandl family estate winery that can claim to be the most glorious winery in the nation.  Cellars are deep and barrel-filled and the bell tower rings across the valley on the hour.  Noon is a cacophony of music.